A resounding success for Végo at Expo Manger Santé et Vivre Vert!May 2, 2014
Les choux aident le foieMay 3, 2014
The marble cake
350 g – All-purpose flour without gluten (Bob’s Red Mill)
150 g – Evaporated cane juice sugar
2 g – Bicarbonate of soda
2 g – Xanthan gum
34 g – Melted coconut oil (liquid consistency)
60 g – Unsweetened apple sauce
300 g – Fresh pineapple in pieces
9 g – Lemon juice (1 tbsp.)
50 g – Orange juice (1/4 cup)
5 g – Ground golden flax seed
1 pinch – Powdred turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. – Matcha green tea (powdered)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and xanthan gum in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine orange juice with pineapple pieces and blend lightly to make a puree. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine liquid coconut oil, apple sauce, ground flax seeds and lemon juice. Then stir in the pineapple puree.
- Pour the wet mixture into the middle of the dry mixture and mix well.
- To create the marbled effect, divide the batter into two different bowls.
- Add the matcha to one bowl and the turmeric powder to the other. Blend well.
- Oil the baking pan.
- Pour half of the yellow batter into the pan and then half of the green batter. Repeat with the second half of the yellow batter and then the green batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick in the centre of the cake.
- When done, remove cake from oven and let rest for an hour until it is room temperature
- Cover with frosting and slice.
- 115 g – Roasted cashews (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup – Orange juice
- 100 g – Pineapple
- 10 g – Sugar
- 1/8 cup – Melted coconut oil (liquid consistency) (20 g)
- 1 tsp – Powdered matcha tea
- Soak cashews for 4 hours. Then rinse well.
- Blitz cashews, pineapple, orange juice, sugar and coconut oil in a blender until they have a smooth consistency.
- Let stand 25 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Remove 4 tbsp. of the frosting and place in another bowl.
- Add the matcha tea powder to this and stir to make a uniformly green mixture.
- Cover the cake with the initial yellow frosting. Then add 4 stripes of green frosting.
- Make a marbled pattern by drawing the tip of a butter knife or a spoon back and forth between the lines.
A Stéphanie Audet recipe