Black bean veggie burgerMay 2, 2014
Choucroute d’hiverMay 2, 2014
For 4 portions (this soup is a meal in itself)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- a teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 0.250 kg chopped onion
- 0.020 kg crushed garlic
- 0.002 kg cayenne
- 0.100 kg finely chopped lemongrass
- 0.025 kg gigner, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 0.070 kg minced shallot (green onion)
- 0.002 kg turmeric
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can of coconut milk (340 ml)
- ¼ cup of lime juice
- 0.454 kg firm tofu cut in small to medium size cubes
- 0.030 kg coconut oil
- 0.005 kg salt
- 0.020 kg chopped shallot (green onion)
Root vegetables, depending what’s in season:
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 0.200 kg parsnips cut in disks
- 0.250 kg carrots cut in disks
- 1 package soba noodles
- Optional sesame oil, enough to prevent the noodles sticking together. This will depend on how long they remain outside the broth.
Garnishes to add “green”:
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 0.010 kg cilantro
- 0.100 kg finely chopped bok choy
- 0.030 kg watercress
- The curry broth and ccoconut milk
- In coconut oil, over medium heat, sauté the spices for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, cayenne, lemongrass, ginger, shallot, turmeric and organic lime zest. Sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer the broth for the flavours to infuse – about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Add lime juice and coconut milk.
Another way to do the bouillon:
- Mix green curry paste (Thai Kitchen brand) into the vegetable broth. If you choose this option, the curry paste should be added gradually and tasted.
- About 2 tablespoons per litre of broth.
- Heat and add the coconut milk and lime juice.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes and roast in coconut oil.
- Salt and set aside, garnishing with the chopped shallots.
- Note that the tofu could also be simply heated up in the broth without being roasted, but simply cut into cubes. Your choice.
- Pre-cook the roots lightly, keeping them crunchy. They can remain in the hot broth at least 1 hour so it is best not to overcook them.
The soba noodles:
- Cook according to package directions. Cutting them into 3-4 sections may make the noodles easier to manage with a spoon.
Two ways to serve this soup:
- Place all ingredients in the broth and then keep warm.
- Keep the garnishes on the side
A Marie-Ève Savaria recipe