Here’s the famous buckwheat salad recipe by Dominique Dupuis from l’Armoire du Haut, presented during the Expo Manger Santé et Vivre Vert 2016.
Buckwheat salad with lentils, apple, lettuce and walnuts with miso ginger sauce and maple
1 cup white buckwheat groats, whole
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 cup cooked lentils
4 red radishes, finely sliced
1/2 cucumber cut in quarter slices
1 diced apple
2 cups of lettuce, torn
1/2 cup roasted walnuts
1/4 cup coriander or parsley leaves, minces
1/4 cup miso
3 tbsp. maple or agave syrup
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. ginger, minced
- In a saucepan mix the buckwheat and broth and cook slowly, covered (about 10 minutes)
- Let stand covered 5 minutes then leave to cool uncovered. Do not stir the groats much.
- Put lentils, vegetables, fruit, nuts, coriander and cooled buckwheat into a large bowl.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients till smooth.
- Add to the bowl of lentils and other ingredients and stir.
Variations depending on fruit availabilities
Buckwheat salad with lentils, raspberries, kale, pumpkin seeds, miso ginger sauce and maple
1 cup kale, finely minced
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup coriander leaves, minced
*1 cup fresh raspberries
* Add the raspberries very gently at the very end.
Buckwheat salad with lentils, strawberries, arugula, pumpkin seeds, miso ginger sauce and maple
1 cup strawberrie, quartered
2 cups arugula
1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup basil
Buckwheat salad with lentils, blueberries, spinach, almonds, miso ginger sauce and maple
1 cup whole blueberries
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup watercress or cornsalad (mâche)