Even if I’m not working in summertime I’m often queried by text, phone or email. And who’s to blame? The veggie burger.
I can’t count how many times I’m asked for my best veggie burger recipe every summer. And I understand! The burgers available for sale aren’t the healthiest and, let’s face it, they don’t look appetizing. Expensive yes, tasty – not so much.
Besides, even carnivores are open to the idea of changing the burger: ground meat is not very glamorous, and cooking it medium-rare is potentially risky. We all want a healthier and safer alternative.
So – a veggie burger recipe? But I don’t have recipes. Being vegan is so easy that I’ve given up long complicated recipes. Here are my three tips for garnishing the ubiquitous round bun, for cooking on the barbecue or in the oven.
The king of vegan recipes: the vegetable. I alternate between three versions:
- portobello mushrooms
- slices of eggplant
- slices of marinated tofu.
I have included recipes for “cute” little marinades. But simple procedures are the best – just grilled as they are, with good condiments, they’re a treat.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) ba;samic vinegar
- ½ tsp. (2 ml) dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- Cut the eggplant into half-inch slices
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush the eggplant slices with half of this mixture.
- Set the gas grill to medium. Put the eggplant slices on the oiled grill and close the lid. Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggplant slices are tender. Halfway through cooking, turn the slices on the grill and brush with the remaining mixture.
- 4 portobellos
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems
- In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and coat the mushrooms with the marinade
- Set the gas grill to medium. Place sliced mushrooms on the greased grill. Grill the mushrooms for 10 minutes, turning often. Serve immediately.
Slices of marinated tofu
Cut firm tofu into thick slice and marinate in this BBQ sauce (in French). Then grill the square of tofu burger until lightly brown for a spicy and delicious vegan burger